|Aromatics Seminar at Fritz Winery|
|Underground caves at Fritz Winery|
|"Soil Tasting" at Mauritson Winery|
|Organic Grapevines at http://www.quivirawine.com|
|Blending Seminar at Dutcher Crossing|
|Dutcher Crossing wine maker Kerry Damskey|
|The three Dutcher Crossing wines we blended|
|Dinner at the home of Debra Mathy, Proprietor, Dutcher Crossing Winery|
|All of the writers "blends" ready to be judged|
|Our winemaker judges - Scott Lindstrom Drake (Thumbprint Cellars), Barry Collier (Collier Falls Winery), Kerry Damskey (Dutcher Crossing Winery) and Rick Hutchinson (Amphora Winery)|
|Dutcher Crossing Vineyards and Collier Falls Vineyard that looks like a waterfall on the hill behind.|
With so many different wine regions right in our Bay Area backyard, it was a great opportunity to discover some new wineries an hour north of San Francisco.
We started our trip up in Cloverdale at Fritz Winery with an aromatics seminar. The seminar was lead by Fritz Winemaker, Brad Longton. He introduced us to the notes in the following wines:
- 2012 Estate Sauvignon Blanc: Guava, Sweet Pea Flowers and Fresh Pineapple
- 2012 Estate Rose: Sweet Strawberry, Raspberry, and Blueberry
- 2011 Estate Zinfandel: Black Cherry, Licorice, and Ripe Plum
- 2010 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon: Ripe Raspberry, Bittersweet Chocolate and Ripe Plums
Next we went to Mauritson Winery where wine grower, Cameron Mauritson introduced us to the following wines and showed us how the different soils of the vines could change the taste of the wine:
- Mazzocco Sullivan Vineyard Zinfandel
- Bella Lily Hill Zinfandel
- Gopfrich Syrah
- Mauritson Rockpile Zinfandel
Then we were off to Quivira Winery, an organic winery and biodynamic farm. Nick Amtower lead us on a tour of the property to see the biodynamic farming in action and meet some of the farm animals. We were able to enjoy the following wines while on the tour:
- Quivira 2012 RoséWine Creek Ranch Grenache
- Quivira Fig Tree Sauvignan Blanc
- Quivira Quest Zinfandel
- Quivira Mourvedre Wine Creek Ranch
- Quivira "Elusive" Wine Creek Ranch (GSM)
We then went across the vineyard to Debra Mathy, Proprietor of Dutcher Crossing Winery, to enjoy a catered dinner by Heidi West Catering. It was such a gorgeous setting sitting on her back deck nestled in the vineyards with rolling hills in the background.
At dinner we enjoyed the following wines:
- Thumbprint - Viognier and petite verdot
- Collier Falls - Cabernet Sauvignon
- Amphora - Zinfandel
- Dutcher Crossing - Sauvignon Blanc
It was a fabulous day spent touring the Dry Creek Valley! I really getting to know a handful of the over 70 wineries in the Dry Creek Valley area and getting to know the winemakers behind the wine. It was such a treat to meet all of them and I left with such a better knowledge of wine and the winemaking process! Thank you to the Winegrowers of Dry Creek Valley for a wonderful day trip!
*All images via Savvy in San Francisco except the last image via WDCV.
**This wine trip was sponsored by the WDCV, but all opinions are my own.